Thursday, August 30, 2012

Reminding Myself

I was sitting in rush-hour traffic the other day, pondering, as I usually do. I was thinking about life and making a real effort to keep myself alert, even though the hot sun beating down on our little black car made me want to just snooze and pray my guardian angel would take the wheel. I had half a thought about how my husband hasn't been very romantic lately. In my thought, we have hit a rut. It's not that I doubt his love for me, but that he's just not inclined to being conscious about being romantic and "sweeping me off my feet."  I really didn't dwell on it, as I know my husband is a good man and once again, I never doubt his love for me. Ever.

Yesterday, I let that thought float back in my mind, as I was on my way to picking him up from work. And I scolded myself, in my head. I may not get candlelight dinners and flowers for no reason, but my husband IS romantic. Why did I even think he wasn't? I am writing this post as a reminder to stop focusing on the negative and look to the positive. So often, I realize that many of the memories that are easiest to recall are those events in my life that were hard, hurtful, or the cross I needed to bear. So often, I forget about all the smiles, the laughter and the good times.

In the past couple of weeks, as I've gone back to work full-time, I've realized how easily the adjustment has gone. Why? Because my husband was there to pick up and then some.


One of my favorite pictures - Mr. ADM and my dad

Mr. ADM has...

* Not only kept up with the laundry, but CAUGHT up with it! We only have to do 1-2 loads a day and they are small because I haven't let it build up for a week. AND folded it - which has always been my job. AND put it away.

* Makes dinner every single evening that I work. Without complaint.

* Keeps our apartment in tip-top shape. And that's not easy with 3 littles who like to play hard.

* Takes our children on walks. I know this sounds silly, but it's one of those things I just rarely did. It seemed like a daunting task with baby wiggles. A park? Sure! The mall play area? Absolutely! But a walk without another set of hands just overwhelmed me.

* Instituted a chore chart/allowance with our children.

* Wakes up with me some mornings and will help me get out the door in time.

* Made me a hot breakfast this morning so I wouldn't miss out on the deliciousness that he and the kids would enjoy later :).

* Spent time with me even when a friend called to see if he could hang out.

He always has a smile for me and even when I've been a wreck, he's always there to offer his shoulder and a hug. When he proposed to me 7 years ago, he told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life loving and serving me. And he has done just that. What could be more romantic than a husband who willingly lays down his life for me each and every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment